Friday, September 16, 2011

We made it to Maryland.

Today started off with a chilly 42 degree temperature. But with a mountain to climb on our way to Shanksville, we warmed up quickly. Again, the scenery was beautiful.

It was humbling to see the site where 40 Americans died because they crashed a high jacked plane into a field in the middle of nowhere saving countless lives in our Nation's capital.
It was very sad thinking about the terror they must have felt, knowing they were going to die but they took back the plane and the terriorists didn't complete their goal and we could feel the pride in that today. There was a nice ceremony there and we were on our way.

Gary has some great new friends also known as "pushers". He's next to me now saying "Write that I have taken four young Marine riders under my wing and I pull them up the mountain." Obviously he is kidding. These guys are amazing riders and will push whenever needed. They definitely appreciate Gary's abilities and his efforts as well. He is a pretty strong hand cyclist who gives it his all. There are a lot of other "pushers" on this trip. It's truly a "no man left behind" mentality. Gary rides with the fast group so I don't see him much. He's usually leaving the lunch stop when I get there. I had to stop to catch my breath today after a long hill climb. Soon two riders came behind me and stopped. I told them to go ahead and go past me. They told me they couldn't leave me because I was the last rider. I've never been that far back before so I must have looked surprised. Then they said, "But you're doing great! Everyone else behind you has gotten in the support vehicles." That made me feel a little better but I did chuckle as I don't know if my performance deserved a "great". It is about doing the best you can and pushing your limits.

Today, I was talking with a lady rider about where we were from, why we were here, etc. Soon we were holding hands and crying as we discovered her daughter was the special girl of the man we are riding in honor of tomorrow, Captain David Hortman. We'll be riding with his picture in our pocket as we do each day and I'll give Pam one as well so she can do the same. I knew in that moment we were right where God wanted us to be. We enjoyed dinner with Pam tonight. NSDQ

Thanks for checking in with us. We'll post about David tomorrow and his photo will be on our Facebook page.

Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment